The Boston Grammar School was founded by charter of Philip and Mary in 1555. The oldest sections of the school were built in 1567, formerly referred to as the “big school” and is now used as the school library. South End Site became the model for the Boston Latin School established by Rev. John Cotton in 1635 in Boston, Massachusetts.
In the 1960s under the Holland County Council Education Committee, the Boston Grammar School became a voluntary controlled school with around 500 boys and grew to 600 by the 1990s. Girls are now admitted to the sixth form and there were 597 pupils enrolled as of April 2008.
In December 2012, the Boston Grammar School shut its doors for the final time as a selective school, run by the local authority and re-opened in January 2013 as a selective academy.